On most weekends, you’ll find self-described “boat people,” George and Georgia, one of two places.
Riding the waves of Lake Pontchartrain in their beloved 35-foot Donzi speed boat on the way to the West End of New Orleans.
Or entertaining friends & family in their brand new custom kitchen in their waterfront home that’s been thoughtfully designed & built for just the occasion.
We helped the couple bring their vision of a contemporary, open concept, entertainer-worthy kitchen to life…and then some.
Read on for the full story.
From a Run-of-the-Mill Home to a Magazine-Worthy Waterside Oasis
Four years ago, George and Georgia were ready to make a move from their run-of-the-mill home. Avid boaters, they love the water & wanted to live closer to it, so they decided to purchase a waterfront lot in Slidell’s Clipper Estates. Soon, they got to work designing their 2300-square-foot new construction dream home.
The kitchen took priority.
“I really wanted to go with a more modern, contemporary design for our new home and our new kitchen,” Georgia explains.
A space built for entertaining their fellow boater friends dockside was also a must.
Georgia had a vision for what she wanted and, after a recommendation from a friend, contacted us. Vincent, one of our talented kitchen designers, was ready to help.
Making Georgia’s Vision Come to Life
Vincent took Georgia’s incredible vision for her new kitchen and the design touches she loved – and worked up the logistics. We helped her choose the best countertops & cabinetry to enhance the space, devise a work timeline, and most importantly, stay within budget.
George and Georgia’s new kitchen features:
- Sprawling quartz countertops nestling an oven range with hood and integrated sink
- Unique vertical-opening cabinets featuring tranter clean-cut slab doors with textured horizontal wood grain in a bold obsidian color. The upper cabinet doors have a metallic surround and elegant frosted glass. (Georgia’s favorite feature!)
- Large kitchen island with added seating for easy come-and-go entertaining. The island’s waterfall design has a metal apron frame to support an extended overhang & allow added leg room. Fabric was added for additional texture on the back of the island.
- Integrated slide-out power strips on the kitchen island for convenience
- Angled mosaic tile backsplash in an intricate pattern, framing the kitchen space
- Modern light fixtures
- Wet bar for easy entertaining when friends pull up in their boats
- Open concept kitchen opens to living room seating & keeps the modern vibe going into the living room
To stay on budget, George and Georgia – who are both handy around the house and have done a few renovations before – got creative. They installed the cabinetry themselves & picked their own backsplash and had a contractor cousin install it.
When we work with our clients, we let them lead the way and do as little or as much as they’d like while keeping the budget top of mind.
“Working with Singer was very flexible when it came to staying within our budget,” Georgia says. “Vincent also made wonderful suggestions for design adjustments that helped make the room really work for us.”
Unifying the Design Throughout the Home
The kitchen was top priority for George and Georgia. Along the way, they also decided to keep the modern feel moving into the laundry room and in their master closet. We helped make these additional touches come to life.
The laundry room features the same tranter slab cabinets used in the kitchen to tie the contemporary design together.
In the master closet, we helped the couple design and select a modern closet organizational system that tames all of their clothing & accessories, keeps their pieces visible, and gives them easy access for daily use.
A few years into living in their new construction dream home, George and Georgia love the modern vibe of their new kitchen, laundry room, and master closet.
It’s truly a modern home designed for modern entertainers – and a boater’s dreamscape.
We’re so glad we could help!
Ready To Get Started on Your Project?
From thoughtfully designed kitchens to closets organized to the nines, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and more – we’re design experts and we’re here to help you with your next renovation or new construction project. Contact us today to set up a consultation appointment in one of our two New Orleans area showrooms!